Thursday, November 06, 2008

Winter Canning..

Girls...if your having a rotten day...may I suggest watching one of my favorite movies..'The electric Horseman'! I just finished seeing it again for the umpteenth time...and it never fails to make my soul smile. AAAhhhh......it is my 2nd favorite though...'The Goodbye Girl' is my MOST favorite movie ever! I guess I'm dating myself with these hay?? LOL No matter..they just don't make movies like that anymore. And besides...I've had a crush on Robert Redford since watching 'Butch Cassidy & the Sundance kid'. Be still my beating heart!! He still has that smile and those eyes. And yes...hubby knows that if Robert ever came a knockin' on my front door to whisk me away..I'd be gone in a second. Wouldn't even gather any belongings.....well..maybe a few. My suck-'em up undies....my push-up bra (if I can find it)..and mascara. Yup. That's all I'd need to run away into the sunset with Robert Redford.


It's that time of year....bushels of apples are for sale at the local gas station. The owners have an orchard a few miles out of town...and these apples are the BEST! Sweet and tart all at the same time. They make the best jelly!

So today I thought I'd share with you an old recipe that I've been making for years now. 'Cake in a Jar'.

This recipe makes 7 pints. Spray your jars very well with Pam Cooking Spray before pouring in Mixture.

2/3 cup shortening
2-2/3 cup sugar
4 eggs
2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup nuts
1 teasp. cinnamon
1 teasp. baking soda
1/2 teasp. baking powder
1-1/2 teasp. salt
3 cups flour
2/3 cup water
3 cup peeled & grated apples

Mix together in order given. Pour into warm pint canning jars till 1/2 full. Bake for 45 min. at 325*. Boil lids and place on jars while hot. Use only widemouth pint size jars.
The cake has a 1 year self life.

These cakes make the perfect Christmas gifts! Put in a basket with some canned jelly, pickles and some new hot pads..and you've got yourself a wonderful gift to give.

Now I know this recipe may sound a bit strange to a few of you...but trust me...it is SO good and really simple! I also have a pumpkin recipe that I'll share with you later on down the road. I usually make it around Thanksgiving time, when I'm cooking up fresh pumpkin for the pies. It's easier doing it all at one time.

I'm working on some really cute Christmas goods. Will have them on the website hopefully later today or in the morning tomorrow. I just can't believe it almost here...again.

No comments: