Tuesday, March 31, 2009

A Very Busy House!


We've been busy becoming new parents this past weekend....and having little ones around again is SO much fun! I snapped some pics for you to see after we arrived home and got them settled in. The chicks are just a few hours old when I took these.
We picked them up on Saturday morning from the BEST hatchery that I've ever been to. McMurray Hatchery....and if you'd like information on them, please email me and I'll be happy to send you their way. After being in a few different hatchery's here in Iowa, I was flabbergasted when I walked into McMurray! They are so organized, and SO clean....even washed their hands before retrieving my babys'. So if your looking for baby's of any kind...they carry the most exotic breeds...Murry McMurray is the place you want to visit.

So the baby's are here....all 36 of them. Ofcourse they don't look like that many now...but just wait!




The little yellow chick in the very top pic has fuzzy feet and is a 'Salmon Favrolles'. A very beautiful salmon brown and creamy white color when full grown..with 5 toes and a beard and muff just like my 'Americanan's'. This is a very old French breed and considered critical by the ALBC Priority (The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy).

We also have 'Partridge Rocks', and 'Black Star' which are American breeds and not considered critical.

The Yellow chicks are 'Delawares'. This breed shows white feathers with slight black barring(stripes) in the shankle(neck)and tail. this breed is also Critical. I've personally found this breed to be very gentle and loves human companionship.

'Black Austrolorps' are the black and yellow chicks. A recovering breed that I find the MOST beautiful when grown! All glossy black! Another very gentle and quiet breed.

The yellow and Brown striped backs are 'Speckled Sussex.' A breed from England considered 'Threatened' by the ALBC. This adult female will be a rich mahogany base color with feathers ending in white tips and black bar.

And lastly we have our 'Buttercups'. The chicks have a black banding around their eyes making them look like bandits. They are also Critical. They are from Sicily and their cup shaped comb gives them their name. A beautiful breed and one that our son will be showing for FFA.

I had to show you this sweet little 'Black Australops' that took right to our son and snuggled herself in for a long nap.




This is all of our New baby girls....I do hope you've enjoyed seeing the pics of them. They are now 4 days old and already developing their wing feathers. I'm not sure if you can see it in these pics...
I'm knocking on wood as I say that we've not lost a one yet...and that they all seem very happy and healthy!

I hear some peeping going on....did I forget to tell you that they are smack dab in the middle of my livingroom?? HHHmmm.....well...it was to cold for them yet...just a few more days till it warms up a bit and I know that they'll be eating and drinking on their own. NO they are NOT spoiled!!

Till next time, read up on chickens! It's very mind opening!
Hugs to all,
Paula

No comments: